Well, the article I wrote in the middle of April for TechTarget finally got published. They cut the article I wrote pretty heavily. Worse, they added an item that I did not write. Here’s a link to the article:
They have in there on page 18 that "CAS" means "Central Authentication Service" which of course is ridiculous. CAS really means "Client Access Server". In my final document sent to the publisher, I did not define "CAS". I figured the audience of the article would know what that acronym meant. If they did not know beforehand, now they really don’t know what it means .
The fastest way I can make a correction is on my blog .